Your Ad Here

Reader Stories: Unique Entrepreneurial Businesses & What Makes Them Successful

By , About.com Guide
A business school professor once suggested his students look for the best small business ideas and opportunities in "the space between the elephant's toes." He meant that the best, most profitable businesses are often ones that few people have ever heard of and that are hard to imitate. Start those kinds of ventures, the professor said, and you have a higher probability of charging aggressive prices and achieving robust profit margins -- provided, of course, that you have a legitimate niche with enough customers. So, what's your space between the elephant's toes? And how's it working out?

Test Prep Courses On Demand

Frustrated by traditional, outmoded approaches to test prep, former Kaplan executive Jose Ferreira saw an opportunity to provide better, more customized, and ultimately more effective test prep cours…More

Translating the U.S. Market for Euopean Tech Companies

Marketing, product positioning and go-to-market strategies are similar in Europe and North America, but the messaging (value prop, elevator pitch, sales brochure, cold calling) is not done in the sam…More

Redefining the Recreational Vehicle Camping Business

As an industrial designer with two decades of experience designing all kinds of outdoor gear, I was right in the thick of tremendous technical and design advancements in that category. Simultaneously…More

Making Make-Up More Convenient

Depotting is a technique to remove eye shadows, blushes, and other makeup pans from their original containers. I used to put my depotted makeup pans are in a different container (i.e. empty CD cases,…More

A New Set of Threads Suits Entrepreneur Well

Owning my own business was an idea I had going back to my days in college. In fact, my father was a successful business owner for 34 years. The first day at my last “real-job,” the board …More

Keeping the Sands of Time from Slipping Away

I was on vacation in the Bahamas with my husband, and I brought some sand home with me to remember the natural beauty of this place by. Sand from places where special memories were made is so element…More

I've Got the World on a Sling

Ten years ago we found that most baby carriers didn’t give our son, who was born with Down syndrome, support for his low muscle tone. His physical therapist would tell us what was appropriate f…More

Survey Says: If You Want to Succeed, Have No "Plan B"

The three founders had been working in an industry that focused on corporate meetings and used early audience response technology. At the time, the technology was expensive and so complicated that a …More

The Spreadsheet Doctor Will See You Now

After a Systems Engineering degree from the University of Pennsylvania and a few years of working in “Corporate America,” I became an expert in the “business art form” of Micr…More

Innovative Toys That Teach "Upcycling" To Kids

The look of disappointment in my child’s eye was all that it took for me to want to change the future of construction toys. It all started when I bought my son a construction kit and we built a…More

Entrepreneurship Can Be a Lonely Road

As a long-serving oncology nurse, I understood the immense struggle of those fighting cancer and what I term cancer’s “nutritional challenge” —- the crucial need for proper nu…More

Like a Land's End for Pets, And Everything Made in the USA

Spencer graduated from college with a degree in German and went straight into the finance world in Vermont. After several years, he realized he wanted something different. While visiting Montana to h…More

Banishing Head Lice from the Kingdom

Our family owned salon noticed an increase in head lice cases and, after much research, we found that nothing was available for prevention. After researching herbs and organic oils, studies showed th…More

Teaching Women to Turns Ideas into Products

I launched my first handbag line in 1997 and had no mentors. I wasted a lot of time and money on needless mistakes and a VERY long learning curve. I was sold in every major department store and over …More

Mom Takes Eco-Friendly Route to Entrepreneurship

As a mom of four, I was dealing with the rising costs of a growing family, extra curricular activities such as sports, art classes, and the pressure of savings for college. I felt it was time for me …More

Bringing Star Quality to Meetings and Events

I started Reel Management after appearing on the show "Average Joe" in 2003. I had met many reality stars by appearing at various events, charities, and doing TV cameos. I realized that the market fo…More

Naptime - Where's My Zoobie?

Zoobies were created by two young brothers (Reid and JC Smoot) who shared a similar desire to invent something for kids that was fun, innovative and functional. Growing up with seven other siblings, …More

An Online Marketplace for Tutors

Have you ever seen those flyers in the grocery store posted by people offering guitar lessons or math tutoring? Is there not an easier, more effective way for these people to attract new customers?Wh…More

Dishing Out Recipes Every Week

I have always loved cooking and baking. Every week I would sit down with my cookbooks and with recipes I had printed off the Internet to plan my family's weekly menu. I would also write out a shoppin…More

All-Inclusive Vacations for Dogs (and Their People)

I have two large dogs, and my business partners have three. We are passionate dog lovers who met at a dog training class, and we enjoy including our dogs in our activities. We have many friends who a…More

"Honey, I've Got a Great Idea!"

On December 28, 2004, I took my family of 5 to dinner where we did a Madlibs on the back of the kids menu. On December 29, in the shower (sorry for the bad visual) I had an idea. I had never seen a g…More

Creating a Way for Moms to Have It All

Recognized as an innovative entrepreneur, champion of working moms, and life/work balance expert, Allison O’Kelly started Mom Corps in 2005.As a Harvard MBA, licensed CPA, awarded entrepreneur,…More

Improvising Their Way to Success

We met at Yale University as students in an improvisational comedy troupe. We went on to professional improvisation, training with Second City and performing in improv, scripted theater and TV. Those…More

Making the Sofware Download Industry More Transparent

In February 2008, six of us met in a coffee shop in San Diego to figure out a way to use our knowledge of software creation, distribution and monetization to solve a problem we were passionate about:…More

Online-Only Sales + Made in USA = Success

My wife and I were both attorneys in downtown NYC on 9/11/01. She came home covered in ashes that day and we decided that we needed to change our lives, to stop spending 100 hrs/wk at the office (eve…More

Building Teams with Music

I was previously a published scientist in the fields of molecular/cell biology, where I worked in infectious disease drug development. On a daily basis I would clone genes and test compounds on cells…More

Love Dogs? Love Chainsaw Art? Here's the Hotel for You

I gave up a lucrative construction business more than 25 years ago to venture into art. I taught myself to chainsaw carve and very quickly canine art became my specialty. Arts & crafts fairs, vendori…More

English Tutoring Anywhere in the World, Eh?

Ever since I was a kid, I always dreamt of starting and owning my own business. I spent a lot time thinking of business ideas but nothing ever clicked. One day in 2006, I was reading in an article ab…More

Helping People Find Contractors (Who'll Show Up)

My husband and I had just purchased our first home and quickly realized how difficult it was to find reliable contractors. At the same time, I had just left a career in Corporate America and missed t…More

Chocoholics: You Have Reached the Promised Land

chocri was the first company to have ever customized chocolate bars with the combination of base chocolates and toppings. The founders Michael and Franz were already in the chocolate business in Germ…More

Online Women's Mag For Fitness and Wellness

I’ve always been a magazine junkie but, after suffering with disordered eating and subsequently writing my Master’s thesis on the role some women’s magazines have in promoting negat…More

Nuturing & Pampering Survivors of Breast Cancer

The lack of customer service, caring and nurturing of another human being led me to start my own business. My husband and I started our Internet Business which afforded us the luxury of our Retail St…More

"Fatpacking" Your Way to Fitness

Everyone can relate to working a job -- no matter how lucrative -- where they want to jab themselves in the head with a fork every day. I had one of these positions and found that when I went on back…More

A Gathering Place Online for Moms Headed Back to Corporate America

Ten years ago, my partner, Bradi Nathan, left her huge career as Advertising Manager at Marie Claire in favor of motherhood. During this time, she heard from hundreds of smart, savvy moms who were al…More

Infertility Consulting Helps Clients Explore Options

After battling infertility myself for over three years, I felt discouraged, alone and incapable of making an informed medical decision. It was then that a business idea began to take shape. I realize…More

Helping Procrastinators Deal with the IRS

This is a case of the classic entrepreneurial story. Co-founder Ryan Thompson filed a tax extension every year. He grew tired of filing the form online and knew that there had to be a better way. Sin…More

An Insider's View of the World of Harlem Hip-Hop

I started the business because I was tired of being stifled in Corporate America. I had so many creative ideas and really wanted to make a positive impact on the world while also having fun. I used t…More

A Ceiling Design That's Out of this World

Night Sky Murals really began in 1969 when I was camping in the redwoods in California, where we went every summer. I was 8 years old and we were camping out in the open; not in a tent this time. At …More

It Takes a Tribe to Help a Friend Through a Crisis

In early 2008, one of my best friends was diagnosed with cancer. Realizing that I couldn't be there to hold Kindra’s hand through the chemotherapy and radiation, my friends and I decided to rai…More

Execs Learn New Uses for Knives (Other than Stabbing Each Other in the Back!)

In June 1999, I was teaching a cooking class at Tante Marie’s Cooking School in San Francisco. At the end of class, one of the students – a partner of a prominent law firm – asked m…More

A Franchise that Focuses On Just Mouldings

Mark and Kevin worked together as IT consultants in the 1990s. Mark went on to start two franchise businesses and wanted to create his own franchise. Kevin had been a stay at home dad for a number of…More

Connecting Musical Talent with Celebs Who Need Them

Back in 2007, three partners were unable to sleep. We had trouble sleeping because there was an idea in our collective minds that was so big and so simple that it seemed fool proof. The idea came abo…More

Communications Skills Training

Frustrated with teaching English to high school students in the inner city, I wanted to teach to a more willing audience. The people who attend my classes know that they need the skills, and work har…More

Making Software Development Easy

In software development and project management, there was a need for a tool which would speed things up. Developers were spending so much time on little tasks, like attaching files or searching for c…More

Bringing Out Your Inner Fashionista

We wanted to resolve the following inefficiencies with mass-production:-oversupplying (creating waste) or undersupplying (not meeting market demand) - these things can happen because retailers can ne…More

For a Better Dressed Wine Bottle, It's Wine Wear

I have always had a passion for business and an entrepreneurial mind. I constantly look for better ways of doing things which led me to the creation of my first Wine Wear product line – Wine bo…More

Taking the Guesswork Out of Choosing a Marketing Agency

We recognize that challenger brands need help choosing a marketing partner because marketing is so fragmented today. Making the best choice for your company isn't as simple as doing a Google search a…More

Pack Your Bags

I was a timeshare salesman at a timeshare resort three years ago, and after a year of working in sales, I realized that there is a tremendous demand for the resale and rental market of timeshares. Ev…More

Review Site for Eco-Friendly Products

A passion for the industry and showing the public all the amazing products and companies that are making a difference in the world. With more than 2000 synthetic chemicals being registered every year…More

A New Curl in the Barbershop Business

Justice Jones and Ariel Hauptman have owned barbershops together for the past 5 years and have experienced a gamut of excuses as to why money is missing, why rent is late, etc. As full time working e…More

Darling, You Look Marvelous!

I raised millions of dollars for the American Cancer Society at the domestic and international levels before getting laid off after 11 years. At first I was upset, because I loved my career. But I al…More

Going Green in the Moving Industry

The concept behind ZippGo was born intuitively while I was managing an award winning organic grocery home delivery company I founded in 2001. My company used reusable green plastic boxes to deliver o…More

An Online Community of Home-Based Business Owners

I have had a home business for a number of years and went to networking events and loved meeting the people, but I quickly realized 2 things. 1) Most people are so busy "pitching" their business that…More

Creating a Socially Responsible Community Online

JackTheDonkey.com was started after years of failing to find satisfaction from selling my soul in the world of management and marketing consulting. To find the meaning in life I had not found profess…More

Melding Healthy Living with Home Design

I have always loved design (interior design especially) and have had a passion for health and wellness for years. I always knew I wanted to be in business for myself and as I considered starting an i…More

It's a Dirty Job, But Lots of People Want to Do It

I graduated from UVA in 1999 and went to work for American Management Systems (now CGI) in the Testing and Financial Statements division. Although I excelled and was quickly promoted to a "Team Lead"…More

Don't You Want a Bunch of These?

About five years ago I took my passion for all natural skin care and marketing and melded it together to create Scandle LLC. At first it was a hobby that I did out of my kitchen and sold at home part…More

A Not-So-Small Business Helps Others Get Control of their Sales Process

We wanted to fix the things that drove us crazy as entrepreneurs starting a venture of our own. We wanted to help small business entrepreneurs stop the chaos, and stop letting leads and customers fal…More

Bridging Language Barriers at Work with Specialized Training

I began my professional career as a Spanish language teacher in a local high school and later an elementary school. While teaching, I was asked by my school administration to create and present a Spa…More

Music for the Rest of Us

I've been a serious music lover my entire life. The older I've gotten, I've watched friends completely lose touch with music, they stick to their oldies, and ask their kids to download music for them…More

The Ultimate Multitasking "Momma" Cleans While She Exercises

After gaining over 60 lbs with my second pregnancy, I realized that I only gave birth to 8lbs of it. That being said, I was suffering from "Fattushaphobia." I began doing plies, squats and lunges whi…More

Training for Retail Sales Reps

The business was started primarily as a production company for in-store radio programs. A client asked if we could produce an employee training program, which led to the development of our proprietar…More

Co-Workers Who Drum Together, Work Well Together

Jana Broder worked for 20 years as a corporate caterer in her family’s Atlanta-based business before packing up her car and moving across the country to California. Once settled in the Bay Area…More

Fashions for Hard to Fit Consumers

This company was founded by the husband and wife team of Jeffrey and Consuelo Bova. CFO and co-founder Jeff Bova is 5'7". Shortly after they were married, Consuelo decided to treat her husband by re-…More

A New Take on Gift Registries

We developed the idea for Hatch My House in the winter of 2008, just months after becoming engaged. Living together, before getting married, as more than 50% of couples now do, we realized we did not…More

Recognition-Program Entrepreneur Keeps At It and Wins

Razor Suleman is undoubtedly a serial entrepreneur, starting his first business at the age of 15 importing and selling hockey cards between Canada and the United States. The profits generated from th…More

New Approach to Enterprise Software

In December of '98, while selling and installing Enterprise Software, it was apparent the risk, cost and disruption to business was unsustainable. It started with the simple statement; there has to b…More

Babies In Boot Camp!

Born out of necessity, Baby Boot Camp arrived shortly after Kristen Horler's first child in August 2001. Horler searched the San Francisco Bay Area for a challenging fitness class that didn't require…More

Experienced Entrepreneurs Doing Well by Doing Good

Soap Hope's founders are seasoned entrepreneurs who have started, grown and sold businesses in the past. We grew our last company, a technology startup, to $10 million in revenue and sold it in 2005.…More

It's Easy Being Green

I started it originally as a typing service, and it has morphed several times. For the last several years (since about 2002), I've really focused on using my business to make a difference in the worl…More

Seattle Firm Provides Cure for Bridezilla Fever

The three founders (Blair, Christy and Kim) are photographers at heart. Photographing wedding after wedding, they noticed that one small misstep in vendor choice could have a big effect on the weddin…More

Today Could Be Your Lucky Day

I was watching an infomercial late one night and wanted to be able to try the product out before I bought it. I thought about contacting these companies to see if they would like for me to test their…More

A Dozen Pancake and Bacon Cookies, Please

I was in corporate America and knew that I had to do something else. I was baking chocolate chip cookies one night and decided to throw pretzel pieces in it because I love salty and sweet. After we t…More

From Successful Photography Studio to Web Video Producer

Many consumers are less likely to page through deep web sites looking for information, but with a 2-4 minute video the business can present all of the information that they want the client to see and…More

I Just Want to Bang on My Drum All Day

Paul was in bands while living in Los Angeles and San Francisco. The bands always practiced in hourly rehearsal spaces. When he moved to Santa Cruz he could not find an equivalent space and always th…More

Online Community for Health & Fitness

On the most fundamental level, Holosfitness.com was created in order to provide a free resource where individuals could find new workouts, share workouts, and track the progress of their workouts ove…More

Turning a Disease into a Business Opportunity

I created my company, Madcapz, out of a need. When I was losing my hair (from Grave's Disease) I wanted a fun feminine cap to wear that would make me look good and feel good. I scoured the malls, onl…More

Retirement Investment Firm with Specialty in Real Estate

I was looking for a company to handle real estate investments within my retirement account and couldn't find anyone. My advisors all had no knowledge of how to do this.I met the founder of The Entrus…More

Taking the Guesswork Out of Mail-Order Sizing

The concept behind SizeWize is simple. Shopping online is frequently an exercise in frustration, because when buy clothing without trying it on, women have to guess at the size, and often end up purc…More

Low-Tech Learning for Babies and Toddlers

I was at home with my 18 month old son and I wanted to spend quality time with him doing something educational. I wanted him to learn the basics, Alphabet, Numbers, Shapes & colors. I went to stores …More

Combining Weight Loss, Fitness and Faith

I love movement, fitness and dance. I was working as an Administrative Assistant at an IT company, but was very bored and unfulfilled. I had always wanted to start my own business, so I found away to…More

Scheduling Software - The Next Big Thing?

Back when we started the company in 2004, we didn't set out to build a better appointment calendar, we set out to solve the frustration experienced by millions of people scheduling everyday appointme…More

The Magnate of Rubber Ducks

I was the largest publisher of artwork from television commercials, having created the first ever animation art lines for Coca-Cola, Anheuser-Busch, M&M/Mars, Nike, etc., but in the end, realized tha…More

A Moving Company -- Without the Truck

Dumb luck really. I helped a neighbor move in 2004 and within a week I had more than ten people ask for my help. Quickly realizing there were no companies that specialized in labor we began offering …More

When Life Gives You Lemons, Make....Coffee!

I was laid off from Corporate America, and I had to re-invent myself.I was at a 6 figure a year income, and I had to replace that.When life hands you lemons...make coffee!In less than one year in bus…More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Ad Here